Effective Date: June 22, 2017
Last Updated Date: June 22, 2017
We encourage visitors to read and contribute to this SFARI Gene website. Your use of this site is subject to the following Terms and Conditions.
Acceptance of terms:
By accessing this website, you agree to be bound by these Terms and Conditions and all applicable laws and regulations. If you do not agree with any of the provisions of these Terms and Conditions, please do not use or access this site. The materials contained in this website are protected by applicable copyright and trademark law.
Amendments to these Terms and Conditions may be made and effected by us at our discretion from time to time and will become effective immediately when posted to the site unless otherwise specified.
Use of the site and description of service:
The goal of SFARI Gene is to provide a comprehensive database of autism genetics. This site allows all visitors to recommend new content and changes to existing content (“Feedback”), but all recommendations are subject to approval by SFARI. You agree that you provide us with Feedback at your own risk and SFARI/Simons Foundation has no obligation with respect to the Feedback. You hereby grant SFARI/Simons Foundation a fully paid, royalty-free, perpetual, irrevocable, worldwide, nonexclusive license and right to the Feedback.
Intellectual property rights:
All data on SFARI Gene are derived from sources that are in the public domain, and we encourage users to include such data in their publications, with appropriate citation of the primary data source, the SFARI Gene website, and relevant publications describing SFARI Gene.
The names, trademarks, service marks and design marks (including logos) used on this site are the property of the Simons Foundation or its affiliates, licensors or third-party content providers, and you will not use any such name or mark in any advertising or publicity or otherwise to indicate the sponsorship of or affiliation with any product or service, without the prior written consent of the owner of any such name or mark.
We encourage visitors to contribute to this website, but to do so responsibly. You agree not to:
- knowingly violate any law or regulation while using our website;
- use our website to collect personal data about other individuals;
- submit, or create a link to, any file that contains any virus, corrupted data, Trojan horse or anything else that might damage, destroy or render inaccessible any data or files on any computer; or
- attempt to circumvent the security features of this website, or tamper with, hack into, or in any other way disrupt or disable any computer system, server, website, router or other device used to host this website or make it available to our visitors.
Revisions and errata; non-reliance; and waiver of liability:
The materials appearing on SFARI Gene may include technical, typographical, scientific or photographic errors. We do not warrant that any of the materials on our website are accurate, complete or current, or that the site will operate error-free or without interruption. We shall not be liable to you or any third party for any loss or damage of any kind arising from your use of this site, or dissemination of or reliance on any content contained on this site, and you hereby waive any claim against us and our employees, officers, directors and agents regarding your use of, dissemination of or reliance on this site.
SFARI Gene may make changes to the materials contained on its website at any time without notice. However, we do not make any commitment to update the materials.
You acknowledge and agree that we have no responsibility for (i) the information, content, products, services, advertising, code or other materials which may or may not be provided by or through other websites that are linked to this site, even if they are owned or run by affiliates or partners of ours; or (ii) your reliance on the materials mentioned in (i). We have no control over their content or availability.
Any opinion, advice, statement, service, offer, or information or content provided or made by any third party on any website to which this website is linked, is that of the author or provider, and not of the Simons Foundation. You should direct any concern about any other website to that site’s website administrator or webmaster.
- We do not maintain users’ personal information for any purpose, except with permission under separate agreement. You may provide personal information such as name and email address to recommend new content or to provide us with Feedback, but we do not store that personal information.
- We will protect personal information by reasonable security safeguards against loss or theft, as well as unauthorized access, disclosure, copying, use or modification.
- We will make information about our policies and practices relating to the management of personal information readily available to site visitors.
- We may use ‘cookies’ that automatically collect anonymous, non-personal information when visitors access the site. We may use anonymous, non-personal information to track the success of the site with its visitors, and to better tailor the site to visitors’ needs.
- We do not share personal information about our visitors with third parties (other than our affiliates and service providers assisting in the operation of this website), except with your permission or as otherwise required by law or legal process or as otherwise specified herein.
We are committed to conducting our site in accordance with these principles in order to ensure that the confidentiality of personal information is protected and maintained.
Note to Users Outside of the United States:If you are a non- U.S. user of this website, by visiting the website and providing us with personal information or other data, you acknowledge and agree that your personal information or other data may be processed for the purposes identified in this section. In addition, your personal information and other data may be processed in the country in which it was collected and in other countries, including the United States, where laws regarding processing of personal information and other data may be less stringent than the laws in your country. By providing your data, you consent to such transfer.
Failure of the Simons Foundation to insist upon strict performance of any of the terms, conditions and covenants herein shall not be deemed a relinquishment or waiver of any rights or remedies that we may have, nor shall it be construed as a waiver of any subsequent breach of the terms, conditions or covenants hereof, which terms, conditions and covenants shall remain in full force and effect.
These Terms and Conditions describe and encompass the entire agreement between you and us and supersede all prior or contemporaneous agreements, representations, warranties and understandings with respect to the site, the contents and materials provided by or through the site, and the subject matter of these Terms and Conditions.
Governing law and jurisdiction:
This Agreement shall be governed by and construed in accordance with the substantive laws of New York, without any reference to conflict-of-laws principles. Any dispute, controversy or difference that may arise between the parties out of, in relation to or in connection with these Terms and Conditions is hereby irrevocably submitted to the exclusive jurisdiction of the courts of New York, to the exclusion of any other courts, without giving effect to its conflict-of-laws provisions or your actual state or country of residence.
If any of these Terms and Conditions are (for any reason) held to be unenforceable, illegal or in some other way invalid, the unenforceable, illegal or invalid provision will not affect the remainder of these Terms and Conditions; and they will continue in full force and effect.
No addition to or modification of any provision of these Terms and Conditions that you propose will be binding on us unless made in writing and signed by our duly authorized representative. ‘Writing’ includes email.